Saturday, May 15, 2004

Goals

Because I entered into this course fresh out of my junior year of high school, I was a little worried about whether or not I could hack it. I have always been a worrier and will be one until the day I die, so naturally I freaked out about everything. As far as goals go, I don’t really know if I had any specific ones, besides wanting to pass the course with a decent grade! I will admit that I am more concerned with passing a class than with improving myself or my personal skills. I am not a goal-oriented person, but, of course, as the semester rolled on, I did eventually develop some goals relating to my writing.

1. I wanted to have every assignment done and turned in on time, which, as far as I know, I accomplished. Because I tend to work ahead of schedule, time was never a big issue for me.

2. I also wanted to really understand and get into the literature. I love reading (don’t tell my parents ;) and love finding underlying connections between stories and the real world. The novels really allowed me to expand my horizons, getting me into a genre that I never would have imagined liking. This goal was fairly easy for me to accomplish because I naturally get sucked into books and really enjoyed Neuromancer and Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?. Postmodernism and cyberpunk are fascinating subjects that I will definitely look more into, and science fiction has really opened my eyes to technology.

3. Dealing more with actual writing, I particularly wanted to be able to narrow or expand my focus or thesis. I have a tendency to ramble on about topics or to drift into irrelevant areas of thought, but the 1-page responses and the research paper really helped me in this task. They also allowed me to come up with interesting topics concerning the novel and other areas of the class. Now I feel that I have efficiently learned about and used thesis statements, developing and sticking to them.

4. Lastly, I wanted to fully develop and use main points and ideas. I believe that I learned this throughout high school, but never voluntarily used it until now. When writing, I always plan what I am going to say around three or four main points and use those ideas to prove my thesis. I feel that most of my papers did contain this strategy, and it allowed me to keep on task.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home